HESI Entrance Exam Overview and Test Dates
Total test time allowed: 4 hours 5 minutes; estimated time for each part is listed below.
- Reading Comprehension - Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. - 60 minutes
Grammar - Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc. - 50 minutes
Critical Thinking Skills: 30 minutes
- Basic Math Skills - Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc. - 50 minutes
- Anatomy and Physiology - Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems. - 25 minutes
- Learning Style and Personality Profile - Assesses preferred learning style and personality related to learning style. - 30 minutes
TIPS for Testing
Before the day of your test
Complete the admission process to UACCB.
- Complete an application to the Nursing Department.
- Create your Elsevier-Evolve account and Register for HESI online. Instructions are available on the UACCB website, from the nursing department, and from the Testing Center (870-612-2110).
- The Testing Center is available to help you create an Evolve account, Register for HESI online, and complete the tutorial online.
- Call Ms. Hooper 870-612-2071 to schedule your exam after the steps above. You will need to email her your name, Evolve username, password, and email associated with the account.
- Look for an email with additional instructions on how to create a ProctorU account and schedule your test.
- Check your computer’s compatibility for ProctorU and HESI. Use the “Student Exam Ready Checklist” links provided in the email to do this. There is a “help” number to call if you need assistance. Follow the instructions in the email from UACCB staff to confirm your ProctorU appointment.
- A few days before your test, pay the $49 exam fee by calling the UACCB cashier: 870-612-2005. The cashier will notify the nursing department that you have paid.
- If you do not have compatible computer equipment, contact the nursing department or UACCB testing staff ASAP.
- Know your Evolve username and password which your proctor will prompt you to enter.
- Have a working webcam, microphone, and a strong internet connection.
- Be in a private room.
- Have a government issued PHOTO ID to show your ProctorU proctor.
- Have blank scratch paper and pencils for the test.
- No food, cell phones, calculators, books, pens, Fitbit, Smartwatches, etc. are allowed during the test.
- Login to your ProctorU account.
- Wait for instructions to begin the exam. Your proctor will use a password to access the test.
- Review the ProctorU website for “what to expect” before your test. Do not choose “Submit and Pause/Leave Exam” unless you are taking a brief break between test sections or an emergency requires you to leave.
- If for any reason you are disconnected from the test, work with your ProctorU proctor to reconnect or determine why. There is a “help” number on the ProctorU website.
Testing Location: ProctorU online
- Main Classroom Building, Room 224
- Allotted Time to Complete Exam: 4 hours 5 minutes
- Cost: $49 (call: 870-612-2005 cashier’s window)